If you are in an emission county and your vehicle is newer than two years old, or older than 24 years, you are still required to have a safety inspection.
Cost of Inspection.
|Inspection Type||Amount You Pay At Station|
|Emissions-only vehicles (El Paso, Travis & Williamson counties)||$11.50|
|Emissions-only vehicles (DFW/Houston)||$18.50|
- 1 Do you pay for car inspection in Texas?
- 2 Are vehicle inspections free in Texas?
- 3 Is Texas doing away with vehicle inspections?
- 4 Do they check tires for inspection in Texas?
- 5 Do you need insurance to get an inspection in Texas?
- 6 How do I get my car inspected in Texas?
- 7 What do they inspect on your car in Texas?
- 8 How long does a car inspection take in Texas?
Do you pay for car inspection in Texas?
For a one-year safety inspection, you will need to pay $7.00 at the station and an additional $7.50 when you register ($14.50 total). For a two-year safety inspection, you will need to pay $7.00 at the station and $16.75 when you register ($23.75 total).
Are vehicle inspections free in Texas?
The cost to have a passenger car, truck, or SUV inspected in Texas is $25.50. However, drivers do not pay this fee at the testing station. Instead, they submit it to the state when renewing their registration.
Is Texas doing away with vehicle inspections?
The Texas Senate on Thursday gave its blessing to a bill that would eliminate the state’s vehicle safety inspection requirement for most vehicles.
Do they check tires for inspection in Texas?
Under current law, the age of a tire is not an item of inspection, although the date of manufacture is etched into every tire, meaning a Texas state inspector could check the age of the tires on the vehicle.
Do you need insurance to get an inspection in Texas?
You will need your insurance card, proof of vehicle inspection (the Vehicle Inspection Report from the inspection station), and proof you own the vehicle, such as the registration or title from your previous state. The state portion of your vehicle’s inspection fee will be due at this time.
How do I get my car inspected in Texas?
Vehicle safety and emissions inspections
- Find an inspection station. Use the Texas Department of Public Safety Inspection Station Locator to find a station in your area.
- Pay the inspection station fee.
- Get a Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR)
What do they inspect on your car in Texas?
What’s Checked in Texas Car Inspections?
- Headlights, stop lights, indicator lights, and hazard lights.
- Braking system: foot and parking brakes.
- Wheel components including tire tread depth.
- All mirrors (side and rearview).
- Window tint and coating.
- Seatbelts and airbag system.
- Exhaust system.
How long does a car inspection take in Texas?
The process can vary a little depending on everything that is required for your particular vehicle and if any issues are found; however, a typical car inspection service is usually completed in 30 minutes or less.